Monday, April 29, 2019

DUKE and DUCHESS OF SUSSEX EXPECTING ANY DAY - THE HUNGARIAN LINK TO QUEEN ELIZABETH and ROYAL GRANDCHILDREN

Update November 29, 2023

Hello Friends.  Since this post gets a lot of hits, I thought to say a little more about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex who have made the Santa Barbara - Los Angeles adjacent California their home. I can't say every American "has their back," but I can say that most Americans respect their wish to make their own money and not be dependent on Britain or the Royal Family. As well, I think there is interest in their children who are no doubt being raised as Americans with British heritage. I tend to think that in America there is a general interest in genealogy and genetics (DNA) and with that comes interest in what is inherited biologically - without such interest being automatically taken as an "ism."  For instances, there is curiosity in what children who have been born by surrogate look like (such as Paris Hilton and her husband's children) and immense interest in the Kardashians and their children and who they look like. My heritage does not include people who were slaves in the United States or any recent or traceable persons of "African"/ Black heritage so I don't know exactly what it is like to have that heritage, but I try to have empathy for the sensitivity some people have.  In general I do not think of this curiosity about who children look like is racism.  Racism to me involves not just noticing but also actively going against a person or a group of people for their racial heritage, ethnic heritage, or how they look. Living in a "mixed" culture in California, I think people here are overall quite liberal in attitude. I have no strong opinion on if or who anyone in the Royal Family is racist and find it all rather interesting.

Here at Magyar-American I play (in what I hope is a humorous way) with the various stereotypes of Hungarians and Hungarian-Americans, some of which I've experienced and some which I have been told abut by others. I hope my readers take those posts into consideration - and in stride.  Please leave comments if you have an opinion!

***



As Royal Watchers know, American Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, the Duchess and Duke of Sussex, are expecting their first child any day. (I've been peeved over criticisms of The Duchess of Sussex's finally taking some time off in wait of her baby and concerned that she intends to go back to work so quickly. At 38 years old, and bearing a first child, I want to remind everyone she is not a "spring chicken," however well and eager she appears. Give this woman a break!)


Queen Elizabeth is partly Hungarian, and Prince Charles has gotten himself a little vacation home in Romania - Transylvania area - where so many Hungarian nobles once lived as part of the more mountainous region referred to as "Royal Hungary" which also includes present day Slovakia.) Of this I read various opinions about how the locals feel but it seems he himself loves it there when he visits. (And where I suspect he gives himself time off from being Prince Charles.)

The connection with the aristocracy and nobility of Hungary comes from one of Queen Elizabeth's great great grandmothers (1/16th) who was Countess Klaudina Zsuzsanna Thedy de Kis-Rhede (1812-1841). (Nick Gombash at Hungary Exchange has an impressive chart of lineage in which you can follow and perhaps you too will link to the British Royal Family.)

And so Baby Sussex will have among it's ancestors a bit of the Hungarian nobility as well as once upon a time African slaves brought to America.

Of interest to Hungarian-Americans also is the present day Princess Micheal of Kent.

MAGYAR NEWS - PRINCESS MICHEAL OF KENT - HUNGARY CONNECTION

EXCERPT: But currently, the closest Hungarian relation to the Queen is the former Marie Christine von Leibnitz, who married Prince Michael of Kent in 1978, making her Princess Michael of Kent. Her father was Baron Gunther von Reibnitz and her mother was Countess Szapary Maria Anna Von Muraszombath. 

UPDATE July 2019
A genealogy chart that shows how the British Royal family is related to Hungarian nobility and Vlad the Impaler : FAB PEDIGREE - ANNA LONYAY - PRINCE CHARLES - VLAD THE IMPALER