Wednesday, April 10, 2019

KISSING A WOMAN'S HAND WHILE LOOKING IN HER EYES - HUNGARIAN MEN FLIRTING?

One day years ago I went out to lunch with my boss and some people from the office.  My boss was once a refugee from Croatia or Italy - somewhere like that.  At the restaurant his good friend, a Hungarian who had come to the United States as a refugee showed up.  I was introduced and upon hearing my Hungarian surname, the man grabbed my hand, bent his head to kiss it, all the while smiling and looking deeply into my eyes.  I have to admit I thought it was weird.

I was told that this is how Hungarian men do it.

Hey, I thought, Hands can be dirty and smelly.

Someone said, but this avoids the lips!

It's true that I would have considered it entirely inappropriate if this man or any man I was just introduced to anywhere made a dive for my lips with his.

This man made a joke - I wish I could remember it - that gave me the impression this hand kissing could be considered obscene too.

So what I'm wondering is - what's the history of hand kissing?

Is it something men are still doing in Hungary?
If a woman reacts by removing her hand from a man's lips, is he dishonored?