Wednesday, February 8, 2023

SANDOR PETOFI : POEMS WRITTEN IN HUNGARIAN and TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH

I learned that when it comes to translating poetry written in the Hungarian language, there can be a number of translations. 

I use a number of translation opportunities on the Internet, including the one Google offers.  I can't say that these translations are always correct or perfect, however, I do think the essential meaning is rarely lost.  The question would be the eloquence, a quality that I think is especially essential for poetry,   Here is a web site that offers a translation of the poem THE END OF SEPTEMBER by Sandor Petofi, a man who is thought of as one of Hungary's greatest poets.  

I looked at several sites offering a translation of this poem and think this is the best one.

To me this is a sentimental love poem, quite beautiful.

BABEL MATRIX : END OF SEPTEMBER IN TRANSLATION