Monday, January 13, 2020

ADMIT YOU'RE HUNGARIAN AMERICAN and OTHERS WILL TOO

I discovered recently that when I say I come from a Hungarian heritage, people I've just met say they are too.  Often of a mixed European heritage here in the United States, I wonder if others have looked into that part of them that comes from an ancestor who came here with a Hungarian identity.  I've learned so much I didn't know by researching and writing this blog and I hope what I have to share here will help you better know Hungary - then and now - and Hungarian culture.  I keep reading around DNA, tribal heritage.

Like everyone, the holidays distract me from perusing my genealogy and family history writing and I have just so much more to do!  In 2019 I started following lines that go back into what is now Slovakia and also seeing some Slovak or Czech surnames appearing in what was once and is now Hungary. I know that eventually, perhaps even soon, every line I explore will come to a dead end.  If I can link to even one family on the Maria Theresa census I will be happy.  There is that potential with certain surnames I'm researching.