Saturday, May 26, 2018

HUNTING ACROSS THE DANUBE : MAGYAR AMERICAN BOOK REVIEW



author: Peter Lewis Horn


First, I admit that I have not read this book word for word as I usually do, that I scanned it looking for locations I'd know from a map or genealogy search.  I am not a hunter.  If I had to kill an animal myself in order to eat I'd probably do so in the insanity of starvation. Then I would feel myself to be an animal as well. But I'm no radical vegan. I'm convinced my personal body needs meat due to a foray into food-combining vegetarianism that left me protein starved. I say this because those of you who are hunters - of wild boar, wolf, pheasant, stag, roebuck, mountain bear, and the CAPERCAILLE OFTHECARPATHIANS (What's that?!) - those of you who go after the few beast who've managed to live to an enormous old age - those of you into Couples Hunts, Ladies Hunts, THE KING'S SHOOT - who perhaps hunt in places where killing for sport is seen as a necessary culling of the limited wilderness - Those of you who go to Romania, Hungary and Transylvania, Lake Balaton - WILL GET INTO THIS BOOK!


It has blow by blow accounts of mud, rain, the obstacles of climbing and tracking, what takes cunning, as well as photo ops with dead animals and trophy racks.

Hint: Sheepherders will rat out a bear.

It's not my scene but maybe you'll want to read this book to self discover if it's yours.


C 2018  All Rights Reserved   Magyar-American BlogSpot.