Tuesday, July 6, 2021

THE UNITED STATES SLOWLY WAKES UP BUT IT'S WITH CREAKING BONES and AN ACHING BACK

This morning I walked a bill to the post office.  It took 45 minutes.  After having a bad experience with bill paying on line, I decided to go back to the old fashioned way of doing things, checks and snail mail.  All the street postal boxes have been removed, they say due to mail theft, and mail clipped to the box outside is sometimes clipped for two or three days....

The IRS is backed up.  I'm not looking for a tax return but I know some people who are...

I'm encountering a good number of people who have not taken any vaccination and say they will not.  Some of them are suspicious of the government and/or Big Pharma, but in any case, they are relying on other people to create Herd Immunity.  I pray the new variant doesn't kill them off.

My library reopened but only part of each weekday and not at all on weekends.  They used to provide about 18 Internet computers at that location, which could be used two hours a day.  While closed those were pulled out.  There are new computers but only six of them which can be used one hour a day.  There is hardly anyone in there, way more staff than is necessary.  I suspect that with ebooks and other on line services that can be achieved from home there is not so much borrowing of actual books anymore.  I suspect the library system will dwindle away. 

Slowly the country wakes up, but it's not been a good sleep.