Wednesday, May 12, 2021

MY COVID VACCINATION

I'm fully vaccinated against Covid-19 disease. I'm still wearing a mask, except when I walk my dog around the block, and probably will continue to do so in any situation in which I might be exposed to people who are not vaccinated or are sick. Although wearing a mask can be unpleasant, it's worth the caution.

Watching the news on what's happening in INDIA - where there is a frightening double mutant strain and so many people are perishing.  I've been hooked on that news, watching dozens of videos and reading reports, feeling helpless. I am grateful for the stimulus checks provided by the United States of America, because I have been economically impacted and after much sacrificing, I used a couple hundred of it for some new clothes.

I got my vaccination after trying to get an appointment on line and visiting a couple pharmacies hoping there was a cancellation.  A woman told me a medical van was going to be set up nearby on a certain date and I went there. While previously hunting for the Moderna, I took the Johnson and Johnson, the shot that later was suspended because some women got an unusual blood clot  and died.

My vaccination site was sore and a whitish ring appeared around the area - about the size of a dime. The next day the ring was gone but I still feel as if there is a soreness in the area. I had some worry before taking the shot and didn't sleep well the night before and so I'm not sure if my next two days of tiredness were caused by lack of sleep or a side effect. What I was sure of was that I was also experiencing some nausea, even five days later. So I consulted a pharmacist who told me it was normal for the first week. After two weeks I began to feel a sense of relief.

I have two friends who absolutely refuse to get a vaccination against Covid-19, and they are both intelligent women who I want to honor for their choice.  Yet, I have had almost no in person communication with either of them for months, and lately have been feeling that they are part of the problem rather than the solution. They are both in good health. If someone is treating for a serious illness I can understand that they will follow their doctor's orders. Such was the case of a young woman I met when I took my dog for an outing at a grassy park. She was set up to paint and so I noticed and began to speak with her. I was shocked to learn that she was in stage 4 cancer (which usually means near death) because she was so young and looked so healthy.  She wasn't wasting away and was actually cheerful. So her doctor told her no and I understood that. These friends of mine are not taking the vaccination because they do not trust the government or they feel their healthy diet is enough to fight off anything.

I hope they don't have to find out.

If you are a person who will not take or cannot get a vaccination, please continue to follow all the rules such as wearing a mask and correctly, thoroughly washing your hands or spraying  your hands when you use public buses, bathrooms. and facilities, and so on.

It's a bumpy road we are on, but perhaps we can make it through together!

C 2021 Magyar American BlogSpot
All Rights Reserved