Tuesday, March 2, 2021

TODAYS' FEAST - PIROGIE

Original Photo 
C 2021
Please do not Pin my photo

I hadn't made these in years, but I had a quarter pound of hard goat cheese, mashed potato, onion, parsley, kale, kraut, butter, and a five pound sack of all purpose white flour.

It took a lot longer than I thought it would. I made a potato, cheese, and fried onion filling the day before- easily an hour. I squeezed out the juice from the kraut and added chopped onion and kale today; I made half from each filling mixture. I rolled the dough about 1/16th of an inch thick, which is not so thin as to be transparent. I ended up making a second batch of dough.

Here is the simple dough recipe.

4 cups white flour

2 cups warm water

2 tablespoons butter

1 egg

Make a well in the pile of flour, break the egg and let the egg drop into the well. Put in your butter.

Add half the water at once, the rest gradually. Knead together well - roll and let rest a half hour.

You can add a little water more to get to the nice texture.

Fill with whatever you would like, however, be sure whatever you spoon in has a more dry rather than wet, creamy, or soggy consistency.

Once sealed by fingerwork or fork, drop into rapidly boiling water. Dumpling will rise to top. Allow to boil at top about 3 minutes. Raise out of the boiling pot with a slotted or wire spoon to drain. Place on plate but don't let the dumplings sit in water. 

Immediately fry or cook in butter or when cool and not sticky, store in refrigerator. Can be frozen.