Saturday, November 7, 2020

MY DOG IS NOW A FRAGILE LITTLE OLD LADY - SHE'S DOING MUCH BETTER - UPDATE

Some of you are wondering how my dog is doing.  Well, she's back to normal.  We had one more incident that had me scared and preparing for the worst.

A friend of mine has adopted four dogs, all from the local shelter.  In each case he was told he was the "last chance" for the dog.  The smallest one, five pounds, was the leader of the troop.  The barkiest.  In fact I would not have met this friend if it were not for this tiny pooch, who usually went around in hand. This dog barked at us as we talked out on the street for hours... And so finally, one day my friend invited me in.  The dog realized I was a friend.  When my friend went traveling, I stayed at his house and cared for them all.  This little one had such presence.  I would wake up in the middle of the night and there he would be, looking up.  I picked him up. He slept with me, much to my own little old lady dog's consternation.  And I grew to love this little five- pounder.  But he had, at sixteen years old, begun to have siezures.  He was on expensive medication for months.  Then one day he had a siezure that went on for six hours.  So to the vet he went to put the dog down.  The dog "knew" death was coming and started running all over the place in fear.  My friend was so upset. But he did it.  He came to tell me that it was all over for this dog.

He left and I went to feed my dog and she had a siezure.  Years ago, just one time, she had an episode of what they call "shaky white dog."  In this case, she looked afraid, and her teeth were chattering. I could hear them clacking.  But her tongue was out.  And the shaking stopped.  For the next couple days I watched her closely. But she ate and pooped normally.

I've resolved that I simply can no longer take her out with me, even in a wheeled carrier, if it is too hot outside.

People tell me that in Hungary a dog is a dog and almost always owned for their expertise at a task such as hunting or protecting property.  I suppose my dog would be considered rather "foo-foo." She has loved me, this I'm sure of, and sometimes I think more than any human, and that is her task.

C 2020 Magyar-American BlogSpot