Tuesday, May 19, 2020

PANDEMICS? THIS LIST IS ENLIGHTENING!

DAILY NEWS HUNGARY - TEN DEADLIEST PANDEMICS

Black Death, plague doctor, Europe, disease, pandemic

The Black Death is still the worst pandemic to ever hit Europe but I had no idea there were other population devastating plagues before it.

All of us alive today have been born to a heritage of people who didn't die from these pandemics that killed off millions without first reproducing.  Sometimes I do wonder if this is nature, or the earth as a living being, shucks off humans when there are just too many people.  Sorry!  I'm not ready to die.  Not ready to go!  I don't want to kill anyone with my presence and I'm so tired of wearing masks and being so isolated.  But sometimes I do wonder.  Certainly climate change - unexpected weather patterns - and crop failures - starvation and malnutrition - make a person more susceptible to any illness.

EXCERPT: Europe needed 150 years to recover from losing 20 million people.  The Black Death entered Hungary around 1349.



A popular image of the plague was this!  Hey, have we started making masks that look like birds beak? Or is this a version of "The Grim Reaper"?

I now realize that my genealogy, one line that has the potential to go back to the 1400's, may be effected by deaths from Plague.  I already know people in my lines died of smallpox, of TB, of child-birth, of long illness, and in mysterious ways. I have seen the documents where a priest writes in cholera - plague.  But maybe someday if I endure and am lucky I will find the provable link to that potential ancestor who lived in the 1400's.  Maybe I will find that some of my ancient relatives died of Bubonic Plague.

C 2020 Magyar American BlogSpot