Wednesday, February 7, 2018

GRADESCHOOL VALENTINES STILL BRING UP MEMORIES OF LITTLE GIRL CRUSHES

I was very lucky to have a mom who scrapbooked greeting cards I received as a child.  These scrapbooks are mostly stored away but the kind of thing that you would want to run out with if you were warned to evacuate your home due to pending mudslide or fire.


Although in my grade school is was not mandatory for every child to give every other child in the class a Valentine, and nor do I think that should be mandated, it was exciting when it came time for the big box covered in wrapping paper with a mail slot in the top to be opened and the Valentine's distributed.

Though only 6 or 7 at the time, I knew there were one or two or three people I hoped I would get a Valentine from.  Oh the art was too cute and so was the humor, but one flipped over the card to see if anything besides a signature had been written.  Even the signature was so important!


These days I tend to think that Valentine's Day, as are many holidays, is overblown with materialism and have to's.  I long for the days when a Valentine was precious and meant something special - that there was more sincerity involved.


Maybe this is because I recently reencountered an adult woman who I've always basically liked, but who I remember as being a bit over the top and at ease with telling people she loves them "very much."  If actions speak louder than words, such effusive gushes of adoration must sub in for the fact that she rarely has time for most people.  She is busy with work, and going out with her small inner circle after work, saving herself for big gatherings where she can encounter a lot of people, do some sharing, and make such declarations.
It's not that she dislikes you or is hiding hatred.  It's just so insincere!


I think overall our society is encouraging us to blur liking someone into loving them.


Liking someone does not require you send them a Valentine!


P.S. I love my dog but am not baking her a Doggie Valentine Cupcake full of liver!