Saturday, April 23, 2016

MY DOG IS AN HONORARY HUNGARIAN!

My dog is not a Puli or any other "Hungarian Breed."  Let's just say that a few days after I adopted her I took her to a vet and asked him, "Do you think she's a Maltese Poodle?"  He said, "Could Be!"  He also said that looking at her teeth she could be younger than her paperwork claimed.

Well, are Poodle's German and Maltese from Malta?  Malta as a tiny Mediterranean Island near the boot of Italy?

"Do many people get the DNA test to prove their dog is a pure breed?"  I asked.

He sort of chuckled.  "Yes!  And you would not believe how many dogs that are this big (he showed with his hands - a small Maltese-Poodle kind of dog) were this big (he showed with his hands the size of a wolf) just two generations ago!"

Well, I was looking for a POMERANIAN (you Hungarians may have heard of these dogs called "Poms," when I fell in love with my Maltese-Poodle, and I'm so happy with her.  I love her.  But once in a while when we're out walking someone will comment.  "Well, that tail is no poodle."  or "Her coloring is interesting...strange..." 

Then I say, "Well I suspect Mama was the Maltese and Daddy was an Apricot Mini Poodle!"
So she got adopted by me, a Magyar-American.

Here is why I consider her an HONORARY HUNGARIAN.

1) She loves to taste test.  I have to watch her constantly.  With the eyes in the back of her head she has managed to outsmart me several times.  We're walking down the street, I see nothing, and suddenly she has an ancient chicken leg with decayed meat covered in red ants in her mouth and I'm screaming "Spit it out!" (As if dogs understand long sentences.)  In my opinion Hungarians are "foodies."

2) She loves to eat steamed cabbage and other veggies.
She also loves to eat steamed cauliflower, broccoli, peas, green beans, zucchini, sometimes she will eat parsley, and has been known to munch on grass, marigolds, fennel, and other herbs.

3) She doesn't much like dog beds.  She loves a bed made of comforters, quilts, old blankets and towels which she like to turn around a few times in to make herself a nest.  She will look for an elevated place that's like a pillow for her head.

4) She likes to listen to symphony orchestras, pianos, solo guitars, and yes violins, especially high pitched tones. How do I know?  Well, because when I play these on the radio she will lounge, but with her eyes open.

5) She loves me!

C 2016 Magyar American BlogSpot