Thursday, July 2, 2015

DROUGHT and the TOO HOT SUMMER - THE INSECTS ARE COMING INDOORS

Insects of all types are coming into homes, and in some cases rats and snakes are following. 

You've probably heard that we are in a drought. 

You're probably in a drought too.

I love to cook but dishes - not so much.  I usually let them soak overnight and do them in the morning.  Ah well,  one day I noticed a roach.  Where there is one there are - many.  So I started washing and drying my dishes after years of letting them air dry.  One day I dropped some water on the floor, there was a coin sized drop, and I saw three bugs run out from under the stove in daylight to drink from its edges as if it were a pond.

As a friend said, "To them it was."

So I went out and bought those boxes with the glue inside that trap interested bugs; a hideous death.  That only proved to me that the roaches were invading. 

So a person who manages an apartment building told me to get powered sugar and boric acid powder, mix it up, and put it in little containers here, there, and everywhere.  My place is damp and soon enough this mixture was no longer powder.  So I bought an ORGANIC, SAFE TO HUMANS AND DOGS, spray, that has an intense clove smell to it.

Let's just say that I am just now winning the battle, and it took having to be willing to spray the bugs dead and watch them die. 

But it's not just typical roaches coming in for they have only lead the way being the most survivalist, it is also spiders (big and thin and small and fat), mosquito hawks (waiting for mosquitos to land in my laundry presoak), as well as centipedes, ants, flies, fruit flies, and well, some I can't identify.

Someone told me they all hate the smell of pine sol and also lavender.  Though I was washing down the inside of the refrigerator with bleach and  the bathroom with ammonia, I got the lavender.

Under my steps, a mostly shaded area, where there are pots that include a huge rubber plant and a plum tree, I water.  There I found a Red Salamander clinging to the underside of a basket!  A grasshopper has been eating my geraniums and was on my sunflowers yesterday morning.  I moved him using a piece of cardboard. I could imagine him making a claim to the territory under my steps.

All sentient beings want to live.  And they all need water.

We are to save fresh water and reuse the not so fresh.  I'm taking fewer showers and shorter showers.  I'm going swimming one day a week for about an hour which isn't substituting as a bath but which makes me feel fresh.  When I rinse out a tea pot or a coffee pot, I used the rise for plants.  When I rinse dishes I try to pour the rinse water into standing pots that will need some soaking. And so on.

We have all been asked to let our lawns die and to voluntarily cut back our use of water.

And now we fear fires.

Is there global warming?  I think so.

Is the drought really a "Conspiracy" of big corporate entities that actually own plenty of water and are going to create a fake drought so they can kill off people in this world?

I don't think so.
But people are dying of heat and dying of dehydration already, mostly in countries where the poor are already living close to the earth.

One of the interesting things about drought is that it makes people stock up on bottled water from other places, and some people day from the less expensive tap water, and all in plastic.  If these plastic containers get hot in the sun the plastic leaks into the water, we drink it, and that plastic remains in our bodies. 

I wonder to myself if this water, product of Iceland or Mexico or Russia, is depriving people who actually live there of water. 

I hope not.

C 2015 Magyar American BlogSpot All Rights Reserved