Saturday, May 16, 2015

DO HUNGARIANS IN HUNGARY TREAT TOURISTS WELL? WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE?

Reading around the subject one middle of the night bought of insomnia, I found that on the Internet there is some dialogue about this subject.

There were those who said that wherever they went the Hungarian people (people in Hungary) that they had contact with were terrifically warm, friendly, helpful, and honest, and those who reported the following bad experiences:

People who expected tourists to speak Hungarian like the Natives and further openly dismissed them, put them down, or got angry with them for a bad try.  As this has often been an American accusation of the French, who are also language proud, but with Hungarian being notoriously more unique and difficult than any of the "romance languages," I have to say that I would be upset if I had this experience as a traveler, particularly an ethnic-heritage traveler.

Shop Keepers and others who charge money knowingly accepting too much (more than the posted or agreed to price) and taking advantage of the tourists newness to the currency and inability to figure change, and not giving back proper change.  The tourist realizes he's been taken advantage of or ripped off later and hates Hungary for it.  This is said to be a left over from a sort of Cold War/Communist Era attitude that all Americans or all Tourists must be rich (and not mind?) because how poor can they be if they can have vacations and travel.

As someone who watches her budget this would upset me if it happened to me.  That said, it happened to me in New York City, simply because I didn't know where a cab driver was taking me.