Monday, June 16, 2014

I MEET A ROMANIAN- SERBIAN AMERICAN JUST HOME FROM WEEKS IN SIBIU AND MAGYAR TERRITORY

This morning I had a half dozen errands to complete before my day really started.  I decided to take a bus to the center of the next city which allowed me to grocery shop at my favorite Trader Joes, return a pair of shoes I changed my mind about, make a bank deposit, pick up a reserved book at the library, and get some movies for later before 10 am. On the bus I sat near an older gentleman who proceeded to tell me he was from Transylvania.

"Ah!  I have an ancestor who left Sebes (Sibiu) in the 19th century.  I think he was a German Hungarian."

"A Magyar!"

"Yes, I'm Magyar!"

"I just got back from there.  I don't speak English too good.  I thought I would speak Romanian but everyone said to me "Speak English!"

We laughed.

"I understand the Romanians want the Germans and the Hungarians out!  But they've been there for hundreds of years!"

He nodded.

"I have been in America for 45 years," he said.

VIDEO DOWN