Saturday, October 27, 2012

TIME TO WORSHIP YOUR HUNGARIAN HERITAGE!

As you may know Hungarians in Hungary have no cultural tradition like Americans have developed over Halloween, and frankly I'm glad to know that.  That's because Halloween, which started out as a Celtic spiritual celebration of one's ancestors, and communication with them though dead in mystical ways, has turned into a celebration of violence and horror, and all sorts of strange and often criminal behavior, especially in films.

I don't find horror films enjoyable or worth watching.  I think they can do dangerous things to our psyche.  I don't want the bad dreams they inspire. 

I find All Soul's Day much more interesting.  This is a celebration of the dead, the ancestors, a remembrance of them, that occurs about this time in many cultures that have strong historical roots in Catholicism.  Even if you aren't religious or from an ethnic heritage that celebrates the ancestors at this time of the year,  dedicating an evening to gathering to discuss family history, going through old photos, or working on your genealogy, can be inspiring.

For instance, when I think of my ancestors who immigrated from Hungary, I know that some of them wanted to go back to Hungary, one of them managed to visit there several months a year for many years, but most got to the United States knowing there was no turning back. 

Still in a graveyard in Hungary there are a great number of ancestors of mine who I have never visited.  I can't help but wonder about these people who came before mine, and who genetically contributed to who I am.  I know about most of them not through stories because I was born after those who had the stories had died, but through genealogical research.  Of course I wish they would "speak" to me and nudge me towards the best records so that when I write of them, I can represent them truthfully.

At this time of year I light candles for some of those who have passed before me, hoping though that they have gone on to greater things in the afterlife and in their spiritual journey, hoping that they have not hung around this earth to watch over me which might delay their progress that they have earned through living decent lives, and being people you would want to know, and just may, someday.

Christine
Maygar-American Blog

C 2012 All Rights Reserved including Internet and International Rights