Tuesday, May 15, 2012

AN INTERVIEW (EXTENSIVE!) WITH ARPAD GONCZ : PAST PRESIDENT OF HUNGARY : IDEAS HAVE A LONGER HALF LIFE

This interview is extensive, with a great number of pictures...

Árpád Göncz: "Ideas have a Longer Half-life"

"Whether you see your life as successful or unsuccessful depends on what kind of hearth and home you set out from. I can call my life a string of collapses, failures and blind alleys. And I can say I've ended up, after twists and turns, just where I wanted to be, and I can do, I'm free to do the things I want to do for the rest of my life... I'm not at odds with myself, I'm at odds with the world; I'm just as out of sorts as everyone else. But I feel I can allow myself, in the time I'm left with, to live for the future, not in the past. And if there should ever be five minutes, five political minutes in Hungary when there's a need for a man who can get on with both communists and populars
and has a clean record, I'll be here if I'm needed and elsewhere if I'm not."

(From the interview with Árpád Göncz made by András B.
Hegedűs on February 14, 1985)



This is a history lesson that Hungarians are probably familiar with and Americans not.