Saturday, April 15, 2023

FARINA MUFFINS : YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A BABY TO EAT FARINA! : FOOD BANK RECIPES by MAGYAR-AMERICAN


Hello my Dear Readers,

If you read my blog for any length of time, you know that I've done volunteer work in providing hot meals as well as doing food bank food distribution. That's a past experience now for me, but I know that budgets are strained and that many people who never thought they would need the help have gotten their families free food from one location or another during Covid-19 closures and since then, as rents, gasoline, and so much else has gotten too expensive. I know that many people are faced with ingredients they may not be familiar with. I know that there is a question of nutrition involved and that with the price of meat and seafood what it is many people are moving towards a vegetarian diet without really wanting to. I decided that I will post a FOOD BANK RECIPE from time to time to help you all. The idea is to help you use items that are often included in bags.

FARINA, usually used to make a hot, mushy, cereal is WHEAT.  These muffins are high in IRON.

FARINA MUFFINS

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Line "cupcake" tins with either paper baking cups or lightly grease the bottoms to ease release of these muffins.

Dry Ingredients:

1 and 1/4 cup flour (All Purpose suggested but I've tried Unbleached and so on)

1 cup farina

1/4 cup of sugar (Or less: I've used as little as 1/6th a cup, even using sugar packets that you can get when you buy coffee out.)

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (not baking soda)

1 teaspoon salt.

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup milk (plain water can be substituted)

1/4 cup of oil  (If there is no oil to be had, try using yogurt or applesauce)

1 egg

Mix the Dry Ingredients Together well, just stir around by hand.

Mix the Wet Ingredients together too and then mix into the Dry, completely moistened but not soppy.

Don't spend a lot of time at it.

Just fill the cups about 2/3rds and put them in that pre-heated oven. They will appear light golden brown in about fifteen to twenty minutes. This recipe makes about a dozen.

I like the grittier texture to these muffins which can be like corn meal muffins.

You can add some herbs to these too.

Right out of the oven with some butter, really yummy.

Also good with soup.  (I've been known to throw a farina muffin right in the soup!)

C 2023 Magyar - American BlogSpot