Thursday, January 21, 2021

WE THINK COLD WET FEET WILL CAUSE SICKNESS : HUNGARIAN / HUNGARIAN-AMERICAN STEREOTYPES


 

I've been posting on stereotypes of Hungarians and Hungarian-Americans for some time. Some of these stereotypes are well known. Others have been told to me or I've read about them. Some stereotypes are harmless, others worrisome. 

A harmless stereotype is that Hungarians are excessively worried about their feet getting cold because they think this causes illness. Walking on wet pavement with bare feet? I do that.

Someone's going to tell you, you'll get sick? Well, a woman who is concerned about me walking outside in the cold of morning to walk my dog, barefoot, did give me a pair of slippers made of a new bamboo fiber.

I can't validate the truth of it. Have you heard of this one?

I wonder if my ancestor Hungarians knit thick wool socks to wear in their boots. There's a condition called Trench Foot that is caused by long term immersion of feet in water but I doubt Hungarians spend more time with their feet in water than other ethnicities?

I've been wearing hats for years because I believe most of our heat goes out our heads.

If anyone knows more about this please leave a comment!