Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A WONDERFUL HUNGARIAN / HUNGARIAN AMERICAN COOKBOOK

ZSUZSASCOOKBOOK BLOGSPOT = WONDERFUL HUNGARIAN COOKING

Canadian of Hungarian Heritage, Zsuzsa has given us fantastic recipes to follow!

EXCERPT:  From LENTIL STEW - LENCSE FOZELEK
This is a repost with a motto.  If your lentils and green peas end up in the same jar, separate them or discard the whole lot, because nothing good can come from cooking them together.

“Még nyílnak a völgyben a kerti virágok,

Még zöldel a nyárfa az ablak előtt,
De látod amottan a téli világot?
Már hó takará el a bérci tetőt.”
Petőfi Sándor, Szeptember végén
The flowers still bloom in the valley gardens.
The tree is still green outside the window.
But over there can you see the winter’s world?
Mountain tops already wrapped in snow.
Sándor Petőfi, September’s End
Yes fall is upon us. Bitterly cold air blew two weeks ago when grandchild and I embarked on a bit of shopping. I don’t know why but I thought of lentil stew as we made our way from the car to the mall. And so here is what I made from a new bag of lentils. Now that’s much better. This is real lencsefőzelék. I don’t cook it for New Years out of principle. Nobody can accuse me with superstitions, because knock on wood, I don’t have one.