Wednesday, December 26, 2018

THE CHRISTMAS CAROLING PARTY LAST NIGHT WAS THE BEST

I was invited to the home of a couple who are instrumental in a local Christian church last night to attend a tradition of theirs - Christmas carol singing in the home.  I took my dog with me.  After we had both eaten plenty from the great variety of foods offered  - including a tasty Russian meat strudel and the home made Mexican enchiladas  a guest brought with onions not too raw - not too cooked - and a hunters stew, and had one glass of wine, we gathered in the living room.  My host played the piano.  Also there, a young man - a violinist, a guitar player,  and small percussion instruments such as bells, rattles, and tambourines were passed around. 

We must have sung fifteen songs, happy to have the lyric sheets in hand.  We got inventive.  One man made the sounds of cows, donkeys, and sheep, for the song Do You Hear What I Hear.  We sang one song that was a German carol I had never heard before, alternating between English and German phrases with violin solos between stanzas.  We finished with the Twelve Days of Christmas - those "five golden rings" brought out the operatic and dramatic.  My dog fell asleep under a table despite all the kids swirling around and the clamor. 

Oh I hated to go.

C 2018  Magyar American BlogSpot  All Rights Reserved.


Happy Holidays to all my readers, who I feel sure, will have their decorations up until January 6th.