Saturday, December 18, 2010

CLEVELAND HUNGARIAN MUSEUM presents CHRISTMAS IN HUNGARY

Here's the link to the museum which has a lot of information on how Christmas is traditionally celebrated in Hungary:  Now it seems that Saint Nick visits the children on December 6th, and then ADVENT begins.  Then Christmas is celebrated again on the 25th.

One custom that seems to have been carried on in my family is that the Christmas tree IS NOT PUT UP UNTIL CHRISTMAS EVE... it's supposed to be a surprise.  Gifts were always small and personal, under the tree but usually for immediate family only.

THE COMMERCIALIZATION of CHRISTMAS really bothers me.  And in the years I worked retail Christmas was ruined for me by the time it came.  Now I think of the Christmas holiday as a time of materialism and excess, far from the true nature and meaning of the original holiday.